How to Start a Business

Starting a business is not an easy task. We should know, every one of our members was a startup at one point. The best advice we can give to you is to seek advice from others who have experience. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

*This collection of information has been assembled by The Milford Regional Chamber of Commerce and its employees, none of whom are lawyers. The information herein should not be construed as legal advice. You should always consult with an attorney on legal matters. If you are not currently working with an attorney, you can find one in our Business Directory.

Business Counseling Services

The Milford Regional Chamber houses the Milford branch of SCORE (The Service Corps of Retired Executives), a volunteer organization that is part of the Small Business Administration. An excellent source of advice on all aspects of business, SCORE provides free one-on-one business counseling to startups as well as existing businesses. Experts from different disciplines will provide advice on topics including sales, marketing, management, business plans, accounting, finance, operations and more. SCORE counselors listen to you and serve as a sounding board to give you, the business owner, a support system that helps you in all aspects of Business.

Meetings are available here at the Chamber on the first Tuesday of each month at 10:00am and 11:00am. To meet with a SCORE representative please call us at 203-878-0681 to schedule an appointment.

SCORE also runs a series of business workshops. To find workshops in the Greater Milford area and for additional information, visit the New Haven chapter website or call (203) 865-7645.

SCORE - New Haven ]  [ SCORE - National ]

Filing Your Business Name

One of the first steps in starting a business is to determine how you want to form your business. Is it going to be a sole proprietorship? A partnership? An LLC? A corporation?  These are questions you may want to review with an attorney.

Directory - Attorneys ]

If you are establishing as a sole proprietorship, you will need to file a Trade Name Certificate with Milford’s City Clerk’s Office, located in Parsons Government Complex, 70 West River St, Milford, CT 06460.

Milford, CT - City Clerk Office ]  [ Printable - Trade Name Certificate ]

You will also need a sales tax number from the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.

Connecticut Department of Revenue Services ]

Next, consult the Secretary of State's office to see what papers you will be required to file with them based on your type of business. Further, you will want to determine if any business licenses are necessary.  Also, most new businesses will need to get a Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS.

Connecticut Secretary of State ]  [ IRS - How to Apply for an EIN ]

Launch Your Business

Congratulations, you did it! To get the word out, celebrate your opening with a well-publicized Milford Regional Chamber Ribbon Cutting & Grand Opening celebration. Next, make connections through the Chamber’s networking opportunities and utilize the Milford Regional Chamber’s many powerful and cost effective ways to market your new business. Give your new business a strong beginning and a lifetime of support ~Join the Milford Regional Chamber!

Milford Chamber Membership Information ]

Top ] [ Back ]